Good monday morning everyone! On to today's before and after. I am posting the bathroom attached to the "Vintage Caribbean" bedroom from last week. I had wanted to do a textured wall and was afraid to try. When I finally got the nerve, the result was so rewarding. It was hard work and very messy, but I will do it again...somewhere!
Here's the before...
It's not awful, just not great.
Here is how it all started. I used basic, quick-drying spackling compound and dry wall finishing tools. I tried one little patch hoping for the best. My family really enjoyed looking at this...not really! It was like this for about two weeks before I decided I could do it and went on.
I layered this compound on over every wall surface in the entire bath! Then, after drying, I sanded it lightly, primed, then painted the base color. I then glazed on top of that with plastic bags. That took forever to dry but I love the result...
The mirror did not have any frame. I am very particular about using things we have, so my wonderful husband took 100-year-old wormy chestnut mouldings from my grandparents old house and cut them down to frame the mirror. The old victorian house was dismantled around 50 years ago and all the beautiful mouldings and trim were painstakingly bundled together and stored in an old guest house where they remain today. I am determined to use as much of this treasure as I can!!
I replaced all the fixtures with black iron...well, actually my dad helped me with that! I did put up the light fixture though.
This is what you do with a pot rack...use it for towels!
My husband was very proud of my effort and pleased that our bath reminds him of the houses on
his beautiful island, Puerto Rico. Here we have our tropical getaway in the mountains of North Carolina!
I love trying little projects like this. It is a great project if you have walls that aren't great, especially in an old house. I encourage you to try. I'm glad I finally got the courage for this one:-)
Happy Met Monday!!