Friday, January 6, 2012

At least it was a small fire...

Hi everyone!  We got an unexpected surprise this morning when my husband put a cup of coffee in the microwave, and smoke started pouring out of it. Luckily, it was just smoke and the smell of chemicals/plastic burning. And thankfully it is a little warmer this morning than it has been because I had to open the windows. I cannot tell you how awful it smells. 


Now what to do. This microwave is only about 3 1/2 years old. I had no idea how expensive the built -in kind is. 

In any case, it has to come out. So I'm thinking this is a great opportunity to look at other (less expensive) options. Maybe just put a vent hood over the range and the microwave somewhere else?? Since I want to reconfigure the island eventually, we could put the microwave in there as I have seen people do that. It will be a while before we can do that, though. Funny thing is, just last night I was looking at that cabinet thinking I would love for it to go all the way to the ceiling, but thought it would be too much work to take it out. I guess we will find out now.

I'm just thankful that is all it was and not a bigger fire. I have always been petrified of house fires. Thankfully, we can fix it ourselves. 

In the meantime, Luis is taking out the microwave, and I'm taking down Christmas decorations. We celebrated "Los Tres Reyes Magos" last night with pork roast, rice and beans, Puerto Rican-style. The children left boxes with grass for the kings' camels, and in return, each child got a small gift. 

Happy Friday everyone! 

Anita




23 comments:

  1. Fires scare me as well. Thank God it was only a small one and was controlled. Have you thought about contacting your Insurance Co, see if they can help with the replacement costs? Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita,

    What a scare. I'm so glad the fire was small and you didn't have more damage! And I can definitely imagine the smell; I'd probably have to vacate the premises for a day. :)

    I think a taller cabinet or a vent hood would be lovely over your stove. I'm sorry you have to buy a new microwave, though.

    Best wishes to you for 2012!

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Anita, I'm so glad that it was not a major fire! Thank God it was limited to the microwave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita, What a way to start off the new year!!Hopefully, your insurance company can off-set some of the cost to fix it.
    Hugs, Babs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been checking my dishwasher since there was a news story on several brands going on fire, the control panel shorts out. I also have a built in microwave. I am glad it was something you can fix easily. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. "AllAH korusun"(May God save you)
    Luckily nothing serious happened:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fire is so frightening, I'm so happy it wasn't worse and no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one of those built ins and I hope mine continues to work--I think mine must be about 11 years old and I remember pricing them at one time--they are expensive. But I would replace mine because I like the location and I have a small kitchen. I think the celebration of the gifts is a cool idea and I hadn't heard of this before! Happy Epiphany!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anita,
    So glad it was caught early. I was just reading Consumer Reports about how long to trust appliances today. Let's just say they don't make them like they used to.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow,scary! We've had to replace our over the range microwave several times in the past 11 years. I think we're on our 3rd one. The first time it was under warranty even though it was several years old. GE replaced it. The last time we needed one we changed brands to Whirlpool. You can get them online if your husband can install it. It's not too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, no! I'm so thankful it wasn't worse. I do like the look of the fancy stove hoods that take up that space. I actually keep my microwave in the garage. For some reason, whoever put in these cabinets put in a longer than normal cabinet above the stove instead of the real small ones, so it fits a typical stove hood under it, but there's no room for the microwave type. So I go out to the garage if I need to use the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anita, I am soooo thankful that it was not worst than it was! AND it did not happen while no one was at home to stop it!

    I know that you will replace it with something more beautiful than before, whatever that may be!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sorry about the micro-wave.
    May your week-end be pleasant!
    d

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad it was not a bigger fire!!! God's blessings on you and your family this year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't take this the wrong way but I wish my microwave would burn up so I could get a new one! I am so thankful it wasn't more serious. I agree that house fires are just about one of the scariest things ever. Good luck with the decision on a replacement!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are really starting off the New Year with a bang! Ha! Bad humor... You will make it fabulous whatever you do! I can't believe it did that after only 3 1/2 years. What a shame. I love that you celebrated Los Tres Reyes Magos. What wonderful traditions you are instilling in your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm grateful that in the whole scheme of things it was a small emergency. I would love a built in one. Ours sits on the counter mocking me. I never thought until this post how expensive it would be to replace a built in one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, a fire is never good. , but I'm so happy it was a small one. Curious to see your new plans.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anita, So sorry about fire, I too am scared and think of fire safety often. Thank God it wasn't worse. Buying appliances is tough, we have bought lately so many durable expensive names and major appliances and with in little time they fail. Much success on what to do, I knew built in microwaves are costly. Love your home!Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Praise the Lord for His protection! So glad this wasn't any more than what it was. Bless your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Anita. So thankful it was a small fire. If you're thinking about it in the island, you might want to look at some that are drawers, so it's easier to put the food in and take it out. I'll do that next; saw it in a Parade of Homes house. I've been thinking about you, wondering if you'd done a post on your Reyes Magos celebration. We did our and I did get my post done, but I really pushed to get it done! Happy new year to you and yours! ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lord have mercy, Anita...I've got the chills down my arms, reading about this event & what could have been!
    Did you check the Consumer Reports for possible recalls on your microwave? I only ask this because one of my DD's neighbors had their entire kitchen engulfed in flames due to a defective microwave that turned ITSELF ON!! There were recalls on it they never knew about.

    I hope your insurance will cover the damages & replacements & I thank God no one was injured because of it. ~~shudder~~

    Hugs,
    Rett

    p.s. I loved what you said about the people in our group of tablescaping blogland. It is SO true & I, like you, am horrified at some comments I read on other types of news forums. I pray for this world & what it is coming to.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I missed this post! We had a microwave go back after only a few years too. It was the magnetron that went bad. The thing that was so annoying is it was a high end microwave $700 plus, and only last about as long as yours did. We went out and bought a new one by a different brand and it turned out to be the same unit with a different label! I hope it lasts a lot longer!
    Glad yours didn't go any further than it did. It is an awful odor!

    ReplyDelete