I know ya'll are thinking, "didn't they just make wood countertops?" And you would be right.
But I still had this breakfast bar. Remember...a couple years ago?
As convenient as it is, it is like a
big gigantic elephant in here. I have wanted to take it apart and make it into a rectangular shape forever because it uses more space than it provides. But, we just don't have time or budget to do anything with it so I really wanted a quick, temporary and low cost fix, at least for the top.
So I decided to spray paint it. Oh yes I did. I had seen several pins on pinterest where people used textured spray paint, and I thought I might as well try it as it could not get worse than it was, right?
See how awful it looked? I sanded, and sanded, then primed with two coats of Kilz, then two coats of latex enamel, letting it dry completely between coats. Better already.
Then, I put plastic drop cloths everywhere and started to spray.
I used plain textured spray paint first, and even with a fan and all the windows open, there was too much overspray and the fumes were horrible. So we got the "Stone" version instead and it worked much better...even inside. I only needed two cans, and I let it dry for 24 hours.
I was really pleased with the look. At this point I *should* have sanded, but I didn't.
I started putting on the same floor-grade Varathane I used on the wood counters (which I love BTW) letting it dry in between.
And voila...it really looks like quartz or solid surface.
But, after 5-6 coats, I still had this texture coming through that looked like bubbles. So I sanded it down and started over with the polyurethane. I probably coated it seven times.
I did not let anyone near it for a week. Yes, you read that right...my family of three children, husband, and parents right next door. We used the dining table...imagine that:-) After a week, I still didn't feel it was hard enough, so we actually waited two more weeks to really use it.
It really looks great...
I really don't know how well it will hold up, and I did not intend for it to be a permanent solution. So far, it's not hard like an epoxy would be, so I expect dents, dings and scratches. It certainly looks better than it did, and the hardest part was not being able to use the island.
We still have one more little section of counter to replace with wood, but that won't take long once we plane the wood. If you didn't see the wood counters, you can see them HERE.
I'm really happy with my temporary solution, and all I am out is some paint and a little elbow grease.
I also made slipcovers for the counter chairs, and freshened up the finish on the cabinets, but I"ll tell you about that later.
Don't miss the great giveaway I have going through Friday sponsored by Vanillaholics! You can enter HERE.
I'll be joining: